We unlock markets for technology to support communities and governments globally.
Access Partnership helps companies navigate the regulatory and political hurdles to accessing markets worldwide by creating an environment that allows governments to adopt technologies effectively and responsibly. We start by analysing global trends for the risks and opportunities they create for technology businesses and users of technology, then identify strategies to mitigate those risks and drive opportunities to our clients’ advantage. Our firm uniquely mixes public policy and engineering competencies to achieve our goals. We have six offices around the world and are growing.
Since 1999, Access Partnership has shaped policy on behalf of the world’s leading technology companies as they introduce services and products into new markets. We repeatedly create policy, regulatory and legal routes to market that are adopted worldwide, remain fair to all parties and stand the test of time. We focus on policy as it affects technology, and our expertise allows us to predict the future of regulation and manage the outcomes of technology trends globally.
Access Partnership seeks a Manager or Director based in Africa (Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa) who has proven experience in either consulting on public policy and government affairs issues or developing or implementing policy in government or the private sector. You will support Access Partnerships’ expansion in the African continent by excelling in the delivery of client projects and building a solid business development pipeline. You will have a deep understanding of the subtleties and motivations of government and industry stakeholders in this region and also be able to harness them. You will be responsible for delivering thought leadership and shifting policy on a range of issues including data policies, artificial intelligence, broadband access, spectrum, Internet governance, trade and cloud computing. The role requires developing relationships that provide visibility into public policy decision- making. Other responsibilities include client representation and developing an annual growth and development plan for the region. The candidate must be able and willing to travel, sometimes at short notice.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and develop a variety of client accounts
- Develop public policy positions and advocacy strategies and execute them successfully
- Represent clients before national governments, industry groups and in multilateral forums
- Analyse policy issues, political trends, processes and regulations
- Draft recommendations, White Papers, opinions, consultation responses outlining the business implications of policies
- Develop and drive the business strategy for Africa
- Create new products and methods to generate sales for the business
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of the Arts or equivalent
- Extensive and demonstrable relevant professional experience
- Self-motivated and experienced working independently
- Demonstrate traits of an ideal Access Partnership Employee mentioned below
- Understanding of the tech sector and associated policy and regulatory issues
The Ideal Access Partnership Employee
Access Partnership needs unique intellectual thinkers and proactive execution. As such, Access Partnership develops employees along eight core competencies. The ideal candidate will demonstrate ability in each of these:
- Analytical Thinking, Problem Solving and Creative Thinking
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to “think outside the box” with respect to client deliverables and with respect to internal processes
- Ability to anticipate business issues and plan contingencies based on current intelligence
- Ability to design analytical, strategic and innovative frameworks for projects
- Communication, Persuasion and Interpersonal Skills:
- Experience in public speaking with the ability to produce high quality presentations
- Superior communication skills in English
- Strong persuasion and influencing skills
- Sensitivity to communication in a multicultural environment
- Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong understanding of the region and its political dynamics
- Strong understanding of technology
- Project Management (including Account Management):
- Demonstrable experience of the management of multi-faceted accounts and projects with target, profitability, timescale and quality achievements
- Business Planning and Organising:
- Experience of setting priorities and project delivery plans aligned to organisational strategy and client requirements
- Experience of managing team business plans and budgets
- Ability to work independently and with little supervision
- Relationships with Internal and External Stakeholders:
- Experience of acting as the senior point of contact and role model to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in working with many cultures, with a particular understanding of Middle Eastern political processes and cultural dynamics
- People Management and Leadership:
- Experience of coaching, developing and mentoring team and individual objectives and appraisals
- Business Development and Commercial Awareness:
- Experience of developing and executing a business strategy
- Fluency in French
- Previous experience in consulting, technology policy or government service
What We Offer:
The company offers a competitive salary and benefits package, broad responsibility with clear opportunities for growth and career progression. Our diverse international client base will provide the opportunity to work on international projects on behalf of some of the industry’s leading companies. Some travel is required. Our culture boasts a collaborative working environment, a multi-cultural setting, a group of creative, passionate individuals and a robust support system. We are committed to providing training and professional development for all our staff.
How to Apply:
If you feel that you are able to demonstrate many of the key skills and experience required and are looking for the next step in your career and/or to develop into a more senior position over the next few years, we would like to hear from you.
Please email your CV, a short writing sample in English, and a cover letter addressing your suitability for the role to email@example.com using “Africa Policy Manager /Director” as the email subject.
Closing Date for applications – 8th January 2021