We want to thank all participants for joining our inaugural online conference “Fair Tech Forum.” This was a day of online discussions that took a global perspective on a diverse range of tech policy issues. We started with talks from the Asia-Pacific region, moved across EMEA, and ended with panels from the US.
Senior representatives from industry and government discussed how the relationship between tech and governments has evolved during the Covid-19 pandemic, how global trends have shifted the centre of gravity in recent years and debates over whether leadership resides in the US, China, or Europe.
Through the day we discussed what is meant by Fair Tech, explored the challenges that need to be solved to achieve it, and identified the key stakeholders required to realise the necessary change in thinking.
APAC Tech Policy: What must the region learn from the mistakes of others?
- Is APAC cyberspace secure?
- Can APAC infrastructure cope with the rising demand for OTT services?
- Kai Koon Ng, Director, Global Public Policy at Akamai Technologies
- Matt Bennett, Senior Director, Asia Pacific and Japan, Security Business Unit, VMware
- Pablo Hinojosa, Strategic Engagement Director, APNIC
- Paul Chua, Product Security Leader, Greater Asia at Becton Dickinson
- Joshua McCloud, National Cybersecurity Officer, Security & Trust Organization, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Christopher Martin, Head of Region, Asia & US, Access Partnership
- Seha Yatim, Public Policy Manager, Access Partnership
Will tech’s response to COVID-19 create more winners or more losers?
- How will the world of work change post-COVID?
- How can we ensure emerging economies are not left behind?
- Are “Tech ethics” a distraction when economic recovery is the priority?
- Phumzile Van Damme, MP and Shadow Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, South Africa
- Agnieszka Lukaszczyk, Senior Director, European Affairs, Planet
- Eva Kaili, Member of the European Parliament, Greece
- Stephanie Finck-Piccin, Senior Director, EMEA Government Affairs, Salesforce
- Stephen Pattison, VP Public Affairs, Arm
- Gordon Morrison, Director of EMEA Government Affairs, Splunk
- Charles Bradley, Executive Director, Global Partners Digital
- Margareta Chesaru, Public Affairs Manager, UiPath
- Ahmed Riad, Business Development Manager, ITU
- Nina Beebe, Head of UK & Europe, Access Partnership
- Gordon Mackay, Head of Practice, Multilateral Organisations, Access Partnership
- Simona Lipstaite, Senior Manager, UK & Europe
Keynote address: Fair Tech and why we need it
Gregory Francis, Managing Director, Access Partnership
The connected future, in partnership with DLA Piper
- Does everyone still get more Broadband after the crisis passes?
- How to ensure Internet resilience in the aftermath of COVID-19?
- Innovative communications technologies, like OTT are the future. Do regulators realise?
- Nermine El Saadany, Regional Vice President – Middle East, Internet Society
- Gerry Collins, Director, Networks Product Management at Intelsat
- Gabriel Solomon, Head of Government & Industry Relations – Europe and Latin America at Ericsson
- Matthew Townend, Executive Director, Cavell Group
- Marcin Cichy, Former President of UKE (Office of Electronic Communications), Poland
- Edward “Smitty” Smith, Deputy Managing Partner, DLA Piper
- Mike Hazzard, Partner, DLA Piper
- Colin Thomson, Head of Infrastructure, Access Partnership
- Christopher Casarrubias, Head of Region, MEALA
- Vadim Doronin, Senior Manager, Compliance and Market Intelligence, Access Partnership
- Maria Zervaki, Manager, Compliance and Market Intelligence, Access Partnership
Who sets global data policy, in partnership with Monument Advocacy
- Is the time of free-flowing data over?
- Do we fix data policy with competition law?
- Who sets global data policy?
- John Frank, Vice President, UN Affairs, Microsoft
- Ed Vaizey, Advisor and Former Minister for Culture, Telecommunications and Technology, UK
- Barbara Cosgrove, Vice President, Chief Privacy Officer, Workday
- Caitlin Fennessy, Research Director, IAPP
- Greta Pesich, Senior Counsel, International Trade, Senate Finance Committee
- Alex Wong, Senior Strategy Advisor, ITU
- Seth Bloom, President and Founder of Bloom Strategic Counsel
- David Higbee, Partner and Global Antitrust Practice Group Leader, Shearman & Sterling
- Stewart Verdery, CEO & Founder, Monument Advocacy
- Gregory Francis, Managing Director, Access Partnership
- Sarah Skaluba, Manager, Data Policy and Trust, Access Partnership